Off The Coast

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Switcher: out sick

Notice anything odd about the screen in the photo below?

IMG_0134.JPG

It's in the middle of the five o'clock newcast. It's not a promo. It's the actual newscast. Look hard... See any graphics? Any logos? Any chyrons?

Well, that's what happens when your control room switcher goes down an hour before the news. We had no graphics, couldn't go to live shots, fullscreens or video, and had only one camera shot.

IMG_0139.JPG

I was out shooting when everything fell apart. I came in about 5 minutes into the show and I have to say, I thought it would be worse. Fortunately for us, it snowed today. If we hadn't have had that, I don't know what we would have done. The anchors played it off as a "Breaking Weather Special," and they just went for it. They tossed to phoners, tossed to reporters on the set and just kept everything moving for a whole hour long show.

Major props goes to our production manager, Joe, who shot the whole thing, off the shoulder. Ouch.

3 Comments:

At 1:06 AM, February 03, 2007 , Blogger Travelin' Miles said...

The whole show was that ONE camera? For a HOUR? By the way I re-invented my blog. More posts in the future

 
At 3:53 AM, February 03, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i read about this on tvspy. there's a lot of talk about your stupid station on tvspy...oh...i mean your cooooool station.

 
At 9:26 PM, February 22, 2007 , Blogger extvtog said...

Hey Update your post. I guess I need to as well.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home