Off The Coast

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Two?

I just realized this afternoon as I was driving into work that I've now been "in TV" for two years. I don't remember the exact start date... But I know I started the first job a short three days after graduating from college. Talk about leaping before you look. But I haven't looked back.

I've worked at three stations in only two years, but I each place was exactly what I needed at the time.

The first knocked me down a few notches and showed me that I wasn't "all that." The second gave me a chance to run away from home and make the mistakes that you're supposed to make as a first timer. It was there I learned about deadlines, I learned about pressure, I learned about pushing myself, I learned about friendship, and I learned all about terrible management, and I loved it all.

Here at station three, I'm constantly learning something new. Even the stressful days have redeeming value. I have learned to think more creatively. I have learned how to tell a better story. Every day poses a new challenge.

I have learned so much about the job, and about myself in such a short amount of time. I'm only a young pup and still have so much to learn. No matter how much I may get irritated by the TV news beast, I'm always grateful that my job does not leave me rotting behind a desk for eight hours a day.

As an "approximate" anniversary celebration, I got to do a road construction story tonight. Oh, yes. I know you're jealous.

I'm actually quite happy with the result. Seeing that my reporter, Justin and I encountered a bit of a time crunch there at the end.

We got back to the station at 6.
Justin voiced and gave me the script at 7:10.
I finished editing at 8:10.
We loaded into the live truck and drove across town.
After some issues with the signal, a long cable run and some sprinting back and forth, we were up for our slot at the top of the show at 9.

I was just glad to get it all done.
It's a bonus that the story turned out well and the liveshot looked good.

It's all I could ask for.

*note: Linking to my station's website is a challenge. I had a link up, but it didn't work all that well. I'm working on a way to get a story up. I'll keep you posted.

8 Comments:

At 8:38 PM, May 18, 2006 , Blogger Widescreen said...

Cj....You deleted all the comments? Why?

 
At 8:46 PM, May 18, 2006 , Blogger turdpolisher said...

happy approximate anneversary.

watch your fingers while you're feeding the beast.

best of luck in all your learnin'.

 
At 10:31 PM, May 18, 2006 , Blogger Mr KR said...

Widescreen must be smokin' that down under weed again.

 
At 10:32 PM, May 18, 2006 , Blogger Mr KR said...

Oh...and I assume when you say terrible management...you mean everybody but me. Right?
I'm really more of a union rep than a manager anyway.

 
At 11:55 PM, May 18, 2006 , Blogger Widescreen said...

We have some of the finest down here!

 
At 1:22 AM, May 19, 2006 , Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry 'bout that widescreen. It just got all sorts of confusing.

I'm working on a way to post some video that will actually get people to the right spot.

JG - you don't count. They never listened to you anyway.

 
At 8:20 AM, May 19, 2006 , Blogger Widescreen said...

And for a quiet moment there, I thought you did'nt love me anymore!

 
At 6:34 PM, May 19, 2006 , Blogger Widescreen said...

By the way......you rate a mention in my latest dispatch!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home