Off The Coast

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Sat truck?

Wanna see my station's new satellite truck?



Yup. That's a F150 with a satellite dish in the back. And the coolest part? You just push a button and it finds the bird all by itself. I simply run some cable and make a phone call telling them I'm ready. That's it. Well, there's a generator, and some other cables to connect, but you get the idea.

I pulled sat truck duty on Wednesday. The sports guy and I drove out of town to cover the conference baseball tournament. He shoots his own stuff, so I just had to drive and get him on TV.

Sometimes I'm amazed at what I get paid to do.



Once we got our media passes, I made sure Ben didn't need me anymore and made my way to a hot dog and a stadium seat.



Warm, sunny, hot dogs and baseball.
Dude. Could you get much better than that?



Things got a little crazy about a half an hour before our hit. We couldn't edit in the truck and had to feed back raw. And we fed back late because our Idol coverage ran late. But the biggest issue is that this new truck doesn't have IFB yet. It's a bit of a challenge focusing, white balancing, setting up lights, and trying to talk on the phone to the producers at the same time. I wouldn't recommend it.

All in all, Wednesday was a pretty good day.

2 Comments:

At 1:35 AM, May 26, 2006 , Blogger Mr KR said...

Cool.
I bought an envelope to mail your DVD in today. That's step one. Step two will come in about 6 weeks. Sooner if you're lucky.

 
At 4:18 AM, May 28, 2006 , Blogger Widescreen said...

I love it. What a beast. We never get cool toys like that. Your not my friend any more!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home