Off The Coast

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Trip: Part Three

So my parents have lived in the same house since the summer of 1988. We moved in just as I was turning six and the whole neighborhood consisted of 6 houses and a lot of dirt.

I became my Dad's helper outside. We picked rocks and moved them to the empty lots. I was the designated "freezie-getter" when he built the retaining wall. Over 18 years, my Dad has captured and mastered the yard. There is an "orchard," a garden, even a small pond complete with a waterfall, fountain, and family of goldfish. Oh, it's impressive.

He always has a project to work on outside. Recently the project became a little larger than usual.

One day, after a morning of seeing friends and enjoying downtown, I drove back south to the suburbs and pulled into the driveway. The garage door was open and the dog was tied up outside, so I knew Dad was out doing something.

This is what I found:


Yeah.


That's my Dad in a tree.

The tree had started splitting straight down the middle (you can see it in the picture). There was no saving it, it had to come down. Instead of paying someone to do it for him, Dad decided that he could take it down himself... With a handsaw.

"I'd probably cut my leg off if I used a chainsaw." He said. Yeah, good point.

He cut down most of the lower branches, and I was not very patient to see it come down. So it was time for some drastic measures.



Rope.



Pulling didn't get the job done, so He climbed back up and started hacking at the split to try and weaken it.



The neighbor came over and we continued to pull.



But alas, the tree was a mighty foe. It was time for some power... Horse power.




Still nothing. We continued to use the ax, handsaw, and the neighbor even busted out the chainsaw to try and weaken the split and take half of the tree down. It didn't come easy, but one more strong pull from the truck,



And we got it.



Oh yeah, you got nothing, Mother Nature. Bring it.

1 Comments:

At 5:07 PM, July 03, 2006 , Blogger Widescreen said...

Took one down on my block the other week. Got my chainsaw out and trimmed then cut it down safely and controlled. Looking at things like what your dad did, scare me! So dangerous! My dad was no different.

I always thought that one day he would kill himself through stupidity and trying to save a dollar.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home