Off The Coast

Saturday, December 08, 2007

Winter Slowdown

The cold has hit the north. The cold and snow... Lots of snow. Well, not lots, but a good amount... Enough for skiing and sledding and creating havoc during rush hour and giving me a stellar lingering painful cough. Great.

Today was a nice milestone. Coldest day of the season.

IMG_0921.JPG

I don't think I've seen a car temperature gauge tell me a negative number before.

I grew up here and am not shocked by the cold. This isn't really even really really cold yet. It's just cold. But being back in the actual cold makes me feel vindicated for all those times in Tulsa when everyone around me complained about the cold and I called them a bunch of pansies. They don't know real cold. 30 degrees? Not cold. Chilly, but not cold.

In the newsroom today I entertained myself observing the choice of footwear of the staff. We had a station wide staff meeting today so I could compare and contrast. The footwear chosen by the staff corresponds almost directly to the job of the wearer. Work upstairs in sales? Dress shoes. Reporter or photographer? Boots. Thick heavy winter boots. Imagine with me. A smartly dressed female reporter in a dress shirt and suit jacket with dress pants and thick winter boots. You can bet that she is wearing a layer of long underwear and she has a change of warmer clothes at her desk. I wish I had a picture to match. I'll work on getting one this next week.

The cold weather may or may not play a role in my inattention to the blog. I'm not going to promise to take up blogging regularly with wild abandon, but I do think about it, and I will try to think about it more. I enjoy sharing things with the few people who come by. Don't give up on me just yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home