Off The Coast

Thursday, November 10, 2005

SOT Rocket

I interview a lot of people. A lot.

There are days when I will talk to someone about Supreme Court Nominees. Then drive across town for a discussion on sports and economics. Or perhaps I'll talk to someone about check fraud then go talk about ADHD. I'll interview four or five people in one day. I'm pretty good at it, but it can be a challenge.

The truth is... People are bad at talking.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not interviewing idiots. They are usually quite intelligent. But talking in normal conversation and talking for television are two completely different animals.

Think about it. A 10 second soundbyte is the result of a five minute interview. 97 percent of what people say is thrown out. Forgotten about. We just don't care. Well no, 97 percent of what they say sucks doesn't work.

"I ummmmm.... I think.... I uhhhhh.... I... Yeah, it's cool."

I can't use that! That does not make good TV! And kids are the worst. 10 minutes of interview will get one soundbyte. Most of it is, "yes" or "no" or a blank stares and fidgeting.

But there are glimmers of hope. People my newsroom call "SOT rockets." Give them a mic and they take off. Mention a topic and everything that comes out of their mouth is TV gold. We newspeople come to them everytime we need quick, easy sound.

For their contributions to television and their willingness to drop everything to come to our aid, I wish to recognize every "SOT rocket" I find. If a "Rocket" is out there in the world greater metropolitan area I will find them, and you will know about them.

My first inductee to the SOT Rocket Hall of Fame is the first Rocket I met in the prairie. This guy...



For every travel story, car story, gas story, he is there spewing SOTs left and right.



Here's to you, Sir, keep up the good work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home